Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

AUTUMN WITH JO MALONE | SWEET ALMOND & MACAROON SCENTED CANDLE

Though it smells like a coconut macaroon than a macaron, I still couldn't help but photograph it with macarons - coz they're gorgeous! ^_^  (Perhaps why they did so in the campaign, too?)
The packaging couldn't be prettier. *_*
Jo Malone candle and sample of Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia Body Creme.
This is my first venture into the Jo Malone Scented Candles.  I've avoided them for some time, because 1) they're rather on the exy side, and 2) I don't have a Jo Malone counter to personally sniff the fragrances myself anywhere near me.

I must admit, I took a huge gamble ordering online using only the guidance of one or two reviews I had read on the interwebs.  Both were positive.  I wanted something sweet as I was out of my WoodWick Bakery Cupcake Candle, which I really enjoyed, but being the blogger in me, I was interested to try something new for now.  Jo Malone recently launched the Just Like Sunday candle collection, which consists of four scented candles inspired by the perfect Sunday:
Lavender and Lovage, 
Green Tomato Leaf, 
Incense & Embers, and
Sweet Almond & Macaroon.

I chose the latter.

I was a little confused about how Jo Malone labelled the fragrance using 'MacarOOn' and yet the campaign photos had macarOns in the background.  See promo image below from the Jo Malone site.
In my mind, they are two distinct sweets.  Macaroons (with the double 'o') are more like little almond, coconut desserts, but more on the cakey, (usually) softer side as shown on wikipedia.  My mum used to make these a lot using coconut (but, there are other variations).  These are delicious and rich in coconut flavour and grated coconut textures.  A macaron (with the single 'o') on the other hand, is what I'd hoped this candle would be as I do prefer these. *grins*  It's a sweet meringue-based, delicately shelled biscuit with a slightly chewy texture in the middle and has filling inside.  According to wikipedia, some dude reckons 'macarOn' is the correct spelling for this latter type of confection.  I would tend to agree.  Otherwise, how can we possibly distinguish between two different types of desserts if we use the terms interchangeably?  [Ends my research (rant) on this topic].

So, what do *I* think this candle smells like?  A macarOOn.  I would say don't be fooled by images of macarons in the background of the campaign.  I think it's misleading.  However, they're description:
"Delectable macaroon. A comforting confection of sweet almond and creamy coconut. Rich with cherries. Softened by vanilla. Warm and cocooning."
You can see it reads coconut.  This is true.  The candle smells largely of coconut and almonds, and maybe a hint of vanilla.  There's a hint of cherry somewhere lurking in there amidst the almond and coconut fiesta going on and this kind of reminds my husband of Christmas.

Overall, I can't help but say I am a teeny bit disappointed with my first Jo Malone candle experience.  I found it a little underwhelming.  While I didn't expect a complex, mysterious scent given the description, I'd hoped perhaps for a little more of the cherry for interest, more sweet and more delicious like a macaron.  It was too simple for me for the price I had to pay.  I guess the meringue was perhaps the missing ingredient to my liking. ;)  On the upside, both my husband and I find it warming, which is what you'd want for the autumn months.  The throw is pretty decent for a single wick, 200g candle, and you'd expect that from a luxury brand with luxury prices.  Beautiful packaging as always, though.  I won't be dismayed, I reckon I will still give another Jo Malone candle a shot, but this time, I will definitely wait 'til I am able to visit a counter to try before I buy and opt for something more rich, complex and interesting.  I would choose a more affordable brand like Woodwick for such simpler fragrances, but if you're a Jo Malone and almond coconut fan and money is no object then I'm sure you will like this.

I also got a 0.5 fl oz./ 15 ml sample pot of the Jo Malone English Pear & Freesia Body Crème with my online purchase, which I think smells beautiful - fresh, floral and fruity - like being in a Sunday market filled with flowers and fruits.  It came in a black velvet pouch.

Hope this was helpful.

Thanks for stopping by! ^_^ xo


Have you tried this candle?  What did you think?  What is your fave Jo Malone candle?  Do share in a comment below - would love to hear! :)


You might also like...




Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar